Guidelines for Applicants
- Applicants must apply through the Board of Governors Judy Barnes, 704-553-1413: firstname.lastname@example.org the GCNC State Scholarship Chairman. GCNC-Scholarship-App and the NGC-GCNC Financial Aid Form 17-18 may be printed from this website (see Forms Page).
- Applicant must be a United States Citizen and meet state requirements as a North Carolina resident.
- Applicant must be a full time student and have a minimum grade point average of 3.25.
- Scholarships are available to college juniors, seniors and graduate students. Applications may be made by sophomores for the junior year.
- Scholarships will be given to be used at state universities in North Carolina with majors in Botany, Environmental Studies, Forestry, Landscape Architecture, Horticulture, Recreation Resources Administration or related fields.
- If a student changes to a major outside the above group listed or drops out during the school year, the balance of the money must be returned to The Garden Club of North Carolina, Inc., PO Box 33520, Raleigh, North Carolina 27636-3520.
- As long as the high academic standing is maintained and the need is still apparent, the student recipient may apply for a renewable scholarship the following year. Preference will be given to former recipients.
- Scholarships are for the full school year and will be sent half in July and half in December.
- Completed applications must be received by the Scholarship Chairman before February 1.
The following is to be included with the application:
- Official Transcript of academic record through the latest grading period, including overall average, i.e. 3.25.
- A letter of no more than one page from the applicant stating the need for a scholarship and vocational goals.
- Three letters of reference should be mailed or emailed directly to Judy Barnes the GCNC Scholarship Chairman, 3616 Schoolhouse Ln. Charlotte, 28226, email@example.com, to be received before February 1. The address is on the application form.
- List of extracurricular activities, honors, and recognitions received within the last three years.
- Application must be official GCNC-Scholarship-App1-20-16 and NGC-GCNCFinancialAidForm-f from the GCNC web site.
Requirements for Student Applicants
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a US Citizen and a permanent resident of North Carolina.
- Must be attending an accredited North Carolina College/University.
- International or Foreign Exchange Students are not eligible.
- Undergraduate students – Junior and Senior: Graduate students – Masters and PhD.
- Sophomore students may apply for their Junior Year.
- Study Abroad on Fellowships or internships are not eligible: funds may be applied to studies overseas provided that the study is a condition of the recipient’s degree plan and that payment is made to an accredited North Carolina College or University.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 (on a 4.0 scale).
- Must be attending school full time: Undergraduate students must be enrolled for a minimum of 12 grated hours of classes. Graduate students must be enrolled for a minimum of 9 graded hours of class unless the applicant has reached the Master’s Thesis level or Doctoral Dissertation/Orals level. Then fewer hours are acceptable.
- Scholarships will be awarded to students attending a North Carolina College or University and majoring in Botany, Agronomy Agriculture Education, Floriculture, City or Rural planning, Landscape Design, Environment and Conservation, Horticulture, Forestry, Wildlife Science, or related areas.
- If High academic standing is maintained, and the need is apparent, the student recipient may apply for a renewable scholarship for the following year. Preference will be given to former recipients.
- Scholarships are for the full school year and are sent to the school’s Financial Aid Officer by the Garden Club of North Carolina, Inc. Headquarters. Scholarship monies are sent half in July and half in December. No checks are sent to the applicant.
- Completed documentation must be received by the Scholarship Chairman by February 1.
- Applicant must use the official GCNC/NGC Scholarship Application form and/or NGC-GCNC Financial Aid Form from the GCNC website.
- Transcript of academic record through the latest grading period, including overall average of at least 3.25.
- A letter, preferably typed, of no more than one page, from the applicant stating the need for a scholarship and vocational goals.
- Three letters of reference, one page each, to be mailed/emailed to the GCNC Scholarship Chairman, to be received before February 1. The Chairman’s address is on the application form.
- A list of extracurricular activities, honors, and recognitions received within the last three years.
- When a student reapplies for a scholarship (whether the applicant is or is not a previous winner), a complete new and updated application must be submitted.
- Documentation may be submitted online.