The Coastal Garden Club of Shallotte, NC was thrilled to be the only club in the state to receive a Plant America Grant, from National President Nancy Hargroves. With the $825. grant, plus other contributions from the community,in April, 2018, the club installed 3 pollinator garden areas at the DOT Rest Stop on Highway 17 in Shallotte, as well as two large educational signs. Two gardens are in raised beds at the front of the site and the third is along the sidewalk at the back entrance. This location serves over 150,000 visitors annually, so the gardens will be enjoyed by many. The Visitor’s Center there has a list of the native plants that were used, so interested members of the public can learn what to plant in their gardens.
The club members working on the project experienced several challenges. We have attached documents detailing what we learned, in case other groups wish to do a similar project. We were fortunate that the husband of a member created a lovely, original trellis of wood, for the coral honeysuckle plant, and that information is included, also.
Plants were purchased from Niche Gardens in Chapel Hill. Soaker hoses were used to insure adequate water. Organic fertilizer was added when planting.
For additional questions, contact Joan Eccard, firstname.lastname@example.org
These programs are from the files in the state office. Click on a title and read, or if you wish to use, print a copy. You no longer have to wait for snail mail and pay $2.
- Bird-Friendly Communities Program Fact Sheet
- HUMMERS, BIRD FIRST AID
- Migration of Birds, Carolina Wren
- Birds that HUM for their Supper
- Characteristics of Hummingbirds
- Eastern Bluebirds
- Blue Bird Trail
- Butterfly Gardening
- The Monarch Butterfly
- Butterflies of the South Atlantic Region
- Butterflies are Free
- Raising Monarchs (new!)
INSTALLATION OF OFFICERS
- Garden Installation
- Rainbow Installation
- Chocolate Installation
- Gaggle of Geese
- Yardstick Installation
- Recipe for Success Installation
- Sea Shell Installation
- Installation Ceremony General
- Installation Using Seeds
- Installation Using Herbs (1)
- Installation Using Herbs (2)
- Installation Using Roses
- Installation Using Language of Flowers
- Installation Using Birds
- Installation Using Candle Light
- Installation Using Bells
- Installation for Council
- Installation Mexican Style
- How to get Media Coverage
- Legend of Jack Frost
- History GCNC before mid 70s
- Strange Bedfellows: Can a carrot and rose find happiness Together?