Youth Clubs Overview
“The Frightened Frog” is an early reader book written to educate elementary children about the environmental issues affecting amphibians. It includes Fun Frog Facts, a story describing the challenges of being a frog, and ways children can Leap Into Action to help protect, preserve and support frog and amphibian habitats in their own backyards!
NGC Related Youth Activities and Contests:
• The 2015-2016 NGC Poetry Contest theme is “Croaking Leaping Frogs”
• The 2015-2017 NGC High School Essay Contest theme is “Don’t Let the Frogs Croak!”
• Establish a Backyard Wildlife Habitat and Certify with NWF!
GCNC-YGC-Membership-Guidelines National Garden Clubs, Inc. (NGC), South Atlantic Region (SAR), and The Garden Club of North Carolina, Inc., (GCNC) are dedicated to sponsoring and encouraging youth gardening groups, beginning at age three and continuing through the teen years. They seek to inspire a love of gardening and the natural world in our youth, not only to improve and maintain our environment but also to share the sheer fun of “digging in the dirt”. Membership benefits include:
- Introduction to the art and science of gardening using fundamental math, reading and writing skills, as well as practical applications.
- Increased awareness of the environment, natural resources, ecology, conservation, composting, and recycling.
- Help in raising standardized test scores, especially in science.
- Encouragement of creativity through observing the cycle of life.
- Development of leadership skills.
- Opportunity for participation and recognition in state, regional and national contests and awards.
- Possibility of future hobbies and career opportunities.
There is a lot of supported information and award information at the NGC – Youth site
An example is the Native Plant project with the Girl Scouts.
THE ROSTER OF YOUTH CLUBS IS LOCATED IN THE MEMBERS ONLY SECTION OF WEBSITE.
ALL ITEMS MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE GCNC YOUTH CHAIRMAN ON OR BEFORE THE DATE INDICATED BELOW:
December 1 – Entries for all SAR and NGC awards (except for the Smokey Bear/Woodsy Owl poster contest; that deadline is January 21st.)
March 1 –Youth_Dues_and_Rating_Form17-19 and a check for $10.00 payable to GCNC.
March 1 – Entries for all GCNC awards
April 1 – Favors for the Youth Banquet at the GCNC Annual Meeting
There are 38 Youth Garden Clubs with 1,035 members in North Carolina. For complete information on the youth program, contact the GCNC Youth Chairman, Betty Gorrie, 336-623-0623, firstname.lastname@example.org